‘How are they going to punish you if you are the BEST player in the world?!’: Cristiano Ronaldo reveals his son’s incredulous reaction to Manchester United suspending star man after he refused to come on as a substitute
Cristiano Ronaldo has revealed how his 12-year-old son was left completely dumbfounded as to why Manchester United suspended ‘the best player in the world’ from playing.
Last month Sportsmail exclusively revealed that Ronaldo refused to come on as a late substitute against Tottenham at Old Trafford.
He was seen wagging his finger at manager Erik ten Hag before he stormed down the tunnel and left the stadium without authorisation before the match finished.
United were furious and Ronaldo was axed from the first team squad as a result, a decision that left Cristiano Ronaldo Jnr at a loss for words it has now been revealed.
‘I was very, very, very, very disappointed for the communication of Manchester United,’ Ronaldo told Piers Morgan during his 90-minute sit-down for TalkTV.
‘To be honest, I never had a problem with any club, with any coach. And they suspend me three days, which I felt it was a lot – and the level of sport, clubs, it felt a lot. It was a shame.
‘I think it was (humiliating).
Cristiano Ronaldo has detailed for the first time the reaction of his 12-year-old son Cristiano Ronaldo Jnr to news that Manchester United had suspended his dad for three days
Sportsmail revealed last month how Ronaldo refused to come on as a substitute against Tottenham, before storming down the tunnel before the match ended, leading to suspension
‘But I remember arriving home and Cristiano (Junior) see me and say “Daddy do not go to the game?” I say “No, because the club punish me with three days”.
‘And he did like *laughs* “How they’re going to punish you if you are the best player in the world and you’re not gonna play?”‘
The 37-year-old superstar added that the suspension, the first of his prestigious career, was ‘good’ in one respect as he felt ‘more relaxed’.
But, he said: ‘But in the same way, I feel very disappointed because, OK, I regret, I apologise, I’m not perfect, I made a mistake.
Manager Erik ten Hag (left) was furious and Ronaldo was left out of the squad to face Chelsea
‘But suspend me three games? For that? I think it’s too much. And then they make fire for the press, which is really disappoint me.’
Ronaldo is now busy preparing with the Portuguese national team in Qatar for what is his fifth – and most likely final – World Cup.
While he is preparing for Portugal’s opening game, there is lots of work being done back at United that could see Ronaldo sacked by the time the World Cup is over.
Sportsmail exclusively revealed on Friday how United have taken the first steps towards kicking Ronaldo out of the club over his bombshell interview.
It’s understood United have begun the legal process of effectively sacking Ronaldo by tearing up his £500,000-a-week contract without paying the Portugal star a penny of the £16million he would have earned until it expired in June.
Ronaldo (pictured) gave a bombshell two-part interview with Piers Morgan this week which has ruled out any chance of him ever playing for Manchester United again
Sportsmail exclusively reported on Monday that Man United would look to fire Ronaldo
This is the first public statement released by Man United since the interview was broadcast
United’s lawyers are satisfied Ronaldo has breached the terms of his contract with his explosive allegations against the club, the Glazers, manager Erik ten Hag and his teammates.
Sources said the club want to deal with Ronaldo as swiftly as possible.
Ronaldo’s team-mates also expect him to leave with the mood towards him described on Friday morning as ‘ambivalent’.
He will not be welcome back at Old Trafford or the club’s Carrington training base after the World Cup.
Gorolive.com – The latest soccer highlights and football news